The Northlake Homeless Coalition (NHC) strives to ensure that our region has one well-coordinated planning process that brings together many levels of local, state and federal agencies as well as public, private, faith-based, and non-profit organizations and concerned public. The NHC membership body works to house individuals and families, keep them in safe housing, and connect them with the supports that will help secure their long-term stability. Through monthly meetings open to the concerned public, usage of an interagency HMIS database, and active participation with state and national homeless and housing associations, the NHC is progressively implementing a Continuum of Care for those most vulnerable to the ravages of homelessness. Download the NHC Bylaws.
Mission & History
The mission of the Coalition is to eliminate and thereafter prevent homelessness in Region IX. Region IX consists of Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes. The purpose of the Coalition is to serve as the Continuum of Care (CoC) for Region IX and perform the three main functions of a CoC as outlined by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):
- Operating a functional Continuum of Care, including a coordinated assessment system;
- Managing the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS); and
- Strategic planning for the Continuum of Care and preparation of the annual application for funds.
The objectives of the Coalition are strategically aligned with HUD’s stated purpose of the CoC program to:
- Provide a community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness;
- Provide funding for efforts to quickly re-house individuals and families who are homeless, which minimizes the trauma and dislocation caused by homelessness;
- Promote access to and effective use of mainstream programs; and
- Optimize self-sufficiency among individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
Rev. Leroy Divinity
NAMI St. Tammany
23515 U.S. 190
Mandeville, LA 70448
Southeast Advocates for Family Empowerment (SAFE)
St. Tammany Community Action Agency
520 Old Spanish Trail
Slidell, LA 70458
Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans – Northshore Services
823 Carroll Street, Suite B
Mandeville, LA 70448